Dec

Interrobang

interrobang
I never knew it had a name…

I use it to denote incredulity, sarcasm, flabbergastedness (dontcha just love it when I make up words?!) wonderment, and often, when I don’t know what else to use. I’m impressed to discover that not only is there a name for it, but an actual punctuation-markish symbol to go along with the name.

I’m impressed beyond belief. If I were a little more “Prince”, I would change my name to the symbol. At least, you’d know how to pronounce it… sort of. It would be a good “name” for me, when you think about it. I can’t count the times I’ve seen this very symbol floating above people’s heads when I’ve made a perfectly clear (to me) statement about something or other.

Anyway, read up on it….

clipped from en.wikipedia.org

The interrobang (/?n’t?r?bæ?/) (?) is a rarely used, nonstandard English-language punctuation mark intended to combine the functions of the question mark (also called the interrogative point) and the exclamation mark (known in printers’ jargon as the bang). The typographical character is a superimposition of those two marks. The same effect is also frequently achieved by placing the exclamation point before or after the question mark; e.g., “How could you do such a thing!?” or “How could you do such a thing?!”

blog it

Huh. You learn something new everyday.

Random Song for the Day: “Fingertips” – They Might Be Giants

Posted in Little Bits of Stupid | 12 Comments

12 Responses to Interrobang

Well isn’t that the coolest thing ever?! And here we’d been interrobanging without even knowing it. interrobanging unaware?! Les!? Okay, now I’m on an interrobanging tear?! Shet bag?!

The only thing about it is I can never remember to press the shift key for both, so I wind up with either a 1 or a/ as half an interrobang?!/1 Whooo, somebody stop me?!

Les Says: “interrobang?!/1 Whooo” – that would be Drunken Interrobangin’?! Betch?!

Now, you’ve got me laughing… wouldn’t “Interrobanging” be a better word for “Cyber Sex”?!

That is such great news! I have been an interrobanger for years, and I didn’t even know it. I actually thought it was somehow improper. I feel so much better now.

Les Says: No shame, Suzi. Just be sure to use a virus-checker… better safe than sorry. Oh, wait, were we back to talking about WRITING?! Ahem…* Nevermind.

(What’s that thing floating over your head?!)

Where is it on the keyboard? I could have used that in my last 2 posts.

Les Says: I don’t think it is – it might be in the Windows character map, but I think I’ll stick to my “?!”, since that is also apparently correct.

4. regina says:

NO WAY! I never knew there was a keyboard shortcut for it, let alone a NAME for it! Why does reading this news make me SOOO happy?!

I came here because Cardiogirl piqued my curiosity about Tweeze. She suggested I chat with you because you got one and love it. But this whole interrobang thang has me so excited, I think I’ll just grow hairy for a while as I try to figure out all the ways I can render it on my computer without having to laboriously type ? then !.

Les Says: HOLY SHIT! There’s a SHORCUT for it?! LOL! I’m still just typing both, one after another – it would take me too long to get used to another method.

About the Tweeze: no chat. Just buy it. Trust me – you WANTS it.

Welcome to Where the Walls are Soft – please return; I really need the company… 🙂

5. BeckEye says:

Well, now I’m naming my firstborn Interrobang. You’ll be just like George Costanza when Seven was taken away from him.

Les Says:
    Can’t I be George’s Imaginary Twin Sister “Georgette”, instead?! I don’t know if I can channel George into my vocal chords.

(Please note all the damned interrobangs I’m managing to throw in these comments, eh?! Geez!)

6. OldGuy says:

I think I saw one of those floating above my head once when I fell into a ditch after a night of too much beer and tequila.

Les Says:
    Betcha saw a lot more than one, OldGuy…

My name is Cardiogirl and I am an interrobanger.

(All together) “Hi Cardiogirl.”

She said banger.

Les Says: ROTFL!! Oops… I mean, “Hi Cardiogirl. Betch?!”

I’m going to write a song for you, my interrobanging friend. I have software I have to ‘larn meself’ on, and you shall be my guinea-pig (I will make an exception to my “No More Pets” rule, just for you). I will send you an mp3 in… oh, say… 6 months? 😉

8. Jay says:

Hm. I can’t seem to find that one on my keyboard.

Les Says: Not enough eclairs is your problem. 😀
    (Your dogs puke yet?!)

9. The symbol itself looks like a question mark with a woody. Maybe that’s what puts the ‘bang’ into it.

Les Says: See?! That’s just what I thought, too! I say we start a petition to change the definition of “Interrobang” to mean “Cyber Sex”. I can go back to living with no name for “?!”.

(Did you bring my toothbrush, Joe?!)

That oughtta make a few lurkers/blog-stalkers flap their lips. ROTFL!!!

Screw the flowers, where do we get a toothbrush bouquet?!

Les Says: Well said!

Les, thank you so much for the beautiful flowers! I was sitting on my bed writing in my journal when the nurse brought them in the room. Perfection and the card, absolutely spot on!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

You are so very kind and generous, Les. Thank you again. The love, she knocked me on my @ss.

Les Says: Well, you’re welcome – I’m glad you got them this quickly, and will be sure to let The Fairies know tomorrow that they got there safely. Ummmm…. sorry about the sore bum (you’re allowed to say ‘ass’ on my blog for future reference).

12. Dale says:

Learning by accident is fun?! Who knew?! Merry Christmas!

Les Says: Merry Christmas, right back, Dale! Hope you get lotsa bling and not too many hangovers…

As far as learning by accident, now… I can honestly say that not all “Accidental Lessons” are necessarily “fun”. 🙂