Nov

Good God, What Day is This?!

Image: Bright Raw
Bright Raw
Taken March 16, 2008 with Canon PowerShot A550

I’m not kidding, either. My days are like this: get up, eat, shower, dress, eat again, pack a lunch, cross the street to work, where I suck back 8 to 10 cups of coffee, eat one lunch, buy another, eat everybody else’s leftovers, dance in the parking lot, cross the street to home, check the mail, sit in the sauna, eat, try not to fall asleep whilst checking up on Blog-Family, eat, collapse. Start over.

I’m switching back and forth between three to four nights “on”, a day – sometimes two – off (the first of which I generally sleep through entirely, along with the following night), followed by three to four day shifts. Rinse and repeat. If they start throwing afternoons at me, I’m not going to get a chance to eat the million meals it seems to take to keep me conscious. I’m not gaining any weight, but at least I’m not losing any, either.

Fluffy took me out to dinner a few weeks ago, and swears I fell asleep at the table. I did not (there were two whole beers to drink; I’m not one to sleep through beer), but I did fall asleep during the car-ride home. We’re going out to eat on Saturday night coming (how many sleeps away is that?) and I hope to stay awake for three beers, this time.

I am not exaggerating when I ask what day it is – most of the time, I really don’t know. As long as I remember how many of such-and-such shift I have in a row, I’m good.

I have to smarten up. I want to write. I want to record. I want to blog my Dad’s stories. I want to drive the Prissy-Van to Teeny-Tiny Town to visit my mom.

It’s like permanent jet-lag. How do I fix this?! One of these Saturday mornings I’m going to drop the Idiot Child off at a locked and empty school, if I don’t get a handle on my time.

Random Song-for-the-Day: “Hey There, Delilah” – Plain White T’s

Posted in J.O.B., Real Life | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , | 6 Comments

6 Responses to Good God, What Day is This?!

That sound like the very good kind of busy, but it’s also the impossible-to-maintain-sanity-if-it-lasts-too-long kind of busy. I hope you get a break one of these days! I love the photo, by the way. As much as I love the holidays, I’d trade every one of ’em if we could just skip ahead to spring.

Les Says: Not me – not this year, anyway. Snow shoes. One for each foot. 😀

I’m not that busy and I have to ask my 8-year-old what the date is.

And she’s always right.

Les Says: Please have your 8-year-old call me every twelve hours…

what Suzi says is correct- I know that it is true because I am there. Please advise me if you have any ideas..

Denise

Les Says: Oh, I have MANY ideas…. I have to get out of bed and implement them. Tomorrow, I record.

(Yeah, I say that NOW…)

I love a cheap drunk…but I want her awake for all the “fluff” and stuff!

Les Says: Hey! “Falling asleep” and “getting drunk” are two different things! And there is no “fluff ‘n stuff” involved – Fluffy got his nickname from Kyla… cuz he’s “fluffy”: large, squishy and huggable. Me, I have no time for “fluff” right now. 😉

I’m totally in that neighborhood as well — as a matter of fact, for a split second, I was going to just leave you a blank comment spot, having done all I could muster by recording my personal info in those itsy boxes. I DO know that it is Friday currently, which means the day of sleeping until at least the sun is up is next. Laundry and cooking happen on that day as well.

Les Says: You have the same crap happen on the same day every week?! I need that to happen….

6. Dale says:

Get that kid out working and quit your job so you can put the stuff off you want to do at more leisure!

Les Says: She WANTS to work, but school has to come first, and let’s just say… well, let’s just not go there. Sigh…* “Idiot Child”, indeed.